Why do screens report ‘Heartbeat not received’ on the Device Health dashboard?
Each screen sends a ‘heartbeat’ message to Condeco every 15 minutes to report it is active, and also to report its software version.
- Screens are listed as Heartbeat not received when Condeco has not received a heartbeat notification for 60 minutes.
- Screens are listed as Software update available when running out-of-date software versions.
Any of the following scenarios may prevent Condeco from receiving a heartbeat message:
- Allowlists not applied / blocklists in place. See Domain allowlists
- Poor Wi-Fi connectivity. See below.
- High network traffic – locally or globally.
- Low network bandwidth.
- High latency.
- Network drops/general network connectivity issues.
- Aggressive load balancing.
- Unresponsive IOT servers
- Device is offline.
When investigating why devices are not sending heartbeats we recommend the following checks.
Check the physical screen.
- Is the screen powered up?
- Is an error message displayed on the screen?
- Has the screen hung?
Check screens on the Device Health page.
- Is the firmware up-to-date?
- When were the last successful heartbeats? Multiple screens losing heartbeats within a short window of time can indicate changes to the network / IP addresses, power, or network outage issues.
Check for Wi-Fi problems. See also Wi-Fi connection
- Is the Wi-Fi signal too weak? To operate successfully, RSSI must be at least -60dBm for desk booking screens and meeting room screens. Note that the dBm is a negative number so -59 is better than -60.
- Is the meeting room screen is connected to POE with a live Ethernet connection but is connecting to the network via Wi-Fi? If this is your desired connection method, turn LAN off on the device.
- Work with your IT team to monitor signal strength, network status, stability, and the general connectivity health to devices, through network management tools.
Check for NTP issues.
- NTP issues can prevent communications. The firewall logs may help to identify if NTP calls are being blocked by firewall rules.
Back to Need help?