Condeco v3 Desk Booking Screens and v2 Meeting Room Screens use a custom version of the Android 8 OS. Android 8 minimizes vulnerability exploitation with the following:
- Android 8 implements SELinux in enforcing mode confining system services and apps to pre-approved access channels only.
- The OS is configured to run a single application – the Condeco Connect screen app.
- The screen shell customization means the only way to physically interact with the screen is through the Connect app.
- If the Connect app crashes for any reason, it is automatically restarted by the system.
- No other apps are available, including the Play Store and associated services.
- Android Debug Bridge (adb) access is denied so the screen cannot be programmatically accessed over USB or the network to install other apps or execute commands.
- The Android settings app has also been removed, so it is not possible to enable any of the locked-down settings, switching the screen to developer mode, for example.
- No incoming connections are permitted. The Connect app initiates communications to known endpoints over SSL only.
- The Connect app is signed by a Condeco specific certificate used to build the OS. Execution of Connect-like functionality is only available to apps signed by this same certificate.
- USB profiles for Media Transport Protocol, USB keyboard and mouse, all USB HID class devices, and the Android debug bridge, are all disabled.
- Condeco monitor Android security updates and apply appropriate fixes. Many of the known Android vulnerabilities exploit user interactions with the screen such as malformed media files, email or SMS messages, etc. Condeco screens have no way to receive or process these due to the lack of onboard apps.
- The Connect app provides a remote mechanism to update the OS and application in response to any new security issues.
Whilst the following Android services are not used (and in some cases, could not be used due to the lack of relevant silicon in the device) by the Condeco screens, they have been removed: Telecom, TeleService, TelephonyProvider, MMsService, Contacts and Contact Provider, DownloadProvider.